Rich, creamy and decadent vegan pumpkin pie made easy. Cradled in buttery crisp homemade pie crust, this pie is the perfect holiday treat for all the family!
Vegan Pumpkin Pie
The classic pumpkin pie is a sweet and rich combination of mashed pumpkin, cream, sugar, egg and spices. Made in an open pie shell, our pumpkin pie is made undetectably vegan – no egg and dairy free.
This sweet pumpkin pie is the ideal decadent comfort dessert. The best thing – it’s easy to make, and will delight family and friends. Sweet pumpkin pie is dessert soul food.
The ultra smooth mouthful of vegan pumpkin filling just melts in your mouth. It’s beautifully baked with a buttery and flaky vegan pie crust. The aim is to create a super smooth pie surface without cracks!
So read on and you’ll find the making this best vegan pumpkin pie from scratch is easier than you think, and oh so tasty!
Why We Love this Recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin pie is one of my favourites for the holiday season. This easy vegan pumpkin pie is:
- Rich and decadent with maple syrup
- Creamy and velvety
- A flavour powerhouse infused with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
This pumpkin pie is made with creamy coconut milk and baked with a flaky pie crust in the oven! I know.. I know.. you are looking for creamy but not coconut flavour. The coconut cream makes the pumpkin pie velvety, but there’s no coconut taste in this pie!
Ingredients for the vegan pumpkin pie recipe
Pumpkin: Find fresh pumpkin that’s in season. You are going to make vegan pumpkin puree. But don’t worry, it’s quick and easy.
Maple Syrup: A smooth surface of the pie filling is something I tried and tested to get right. While the pie filling has caramelized brown sugar in it, the maple syrup works to smooth over the texture so it’s extra velvety.
Full-fat Coconut Milk: A classic pumpkin pie filling needs to be creamy. I tried, but soy or almond milk just doesn’t work well. Vegan pumpkin pie with full fat coconut milk is the best.
Cinnamon, nutmeg, ground clove, ground ginger: These spices bring this pie alive making it the best comfort dessert ever. Top them off with caramelized brown sugar and you have a winning combination. Enjoy the kitchen aroma while it bakes!
There are pumpkin spice out there but I prefer to DIY it.
How to make pumpkin puree for pie filling
The way you cook the pumpkin is important for the texture and flavour of the filling.
Baked – Pumpkin is nice when it’s baked. The skin wraps up the flavour in the oven. The problem is the time. It takes more that 50 minutes to be cooked. Also, the texture can be a bit dry for the pie filling.
Boiled – Boiling only takes 15 minutes. The problem is that it’s too moist. When the cooked pumpkin is combined with coconut milk, it takes more than 50 minutes of baking.
Steamed – The best way I find is to steam the pumpkin. The cooking time is less than boiled pumpkin. The texture is not too moist or dried, but just right. Also, no need to remove the skin with a peeler. The skin can be easily removed when it’s cooked.
So, save your time. Our pumpkin pie is ready within an hour.
Pumpkin Pie Crust
We make this pie with a vegan homemade pie crust. Or you can use an unbaked pie crust from the shop. But trust me, homemade is always better. And I never imagined that homemade pie crust is so easy to make. You don’t have to be a skilled baker to get this pie crust right.
With our vegan pie crust recipe, a rich buttery flavoured pie dough can be ready just in 1 minute with only 3 ingredients.
How to Make Vegan Pumpkin Pie
How to make make the pumpkin pie filling
Add 2 to 3 inches of water in a pan, and place in a steamer. Clean the pumpkin and cut into 1 inch sizes. Cut off the skin. Steam the sliced pumpkin until it’s soft and cooked. It takes about 8 to 10 minutes.
Transfer the pumpkin in to a large mixing bowl. Mash it and then put it through a sieve. (Use a table spoon or spatula.) It’s easy to work on the mash and sieve while the pumpkin is hot. Add the rest of the pie filling ingredients. Use a hand mixer or blender to combine and until all the ingredients are mixed well.
Baking the pie
Pour the pie filling into the pie crust and bake in the oven. After the pumpkin pie is baked, cool it completely before cutting.
That’s it! Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg and serve!
How to ensure there’s no cracks on the surface
To make the pumpkin pie surface smooth, there are two things you can do:
- I reduce the temperature in the oven. I’ve found that on high temperature, the filling evaporates moisture with the high temperature and that creates cracks.
- After filling the pie crust, let the air inside of the filling go by gently hitting on the bottom of the pie crust. Use a kitchen towel.
Tips for this Vegan Pumpkin Pie
How to save the baked pie
Let the pumpkin pie cool down completely after it’s baked. It takes two to four hours. Keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for four days.
Can you freeze the vegan pumpkin pie?
Yes! Place the pumpkin pie into a ziploc bag, and freeze it up to 3 months. Leave it in the fridge over night and defrost before the use. Then allow it to come to the room temperature before slicing.
How to reheat the pumpkin pie
If reheating the pie once, it’s removed from the freezer, place it onto a baking sheet and heat at 300 degree F for 45 minutes. Check that the center of the pie is cooked by inserting a toothpick. When it’s moist but clean, remove the pie from the oven. It’s ready.
Vegan Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 1 unbaked vegan pie crust ( or a shop-bought pie crust)
- 1¾ cup pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup raw cane sugar
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- Place an unbaked pie crust on a pie plate and leave it in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven at 335 degree F (170°C)
- Wash pumpkin, peel the skin and slice into 1 inch thick. Add 2 inch water into a pan and place a steam plate. Once the pan is heated up and steam comes up, cook the pumpkin until it becomes soft and tender. It takes about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the pumpkin in to a large mixing bowl. Mash it and then put it through a sieve. (Use a table spoon or spatula.) It's easy to work on the mash and sieve while the pumpkin is hot. Add the rest of the pie filling ingredients. Use a hand mixer or blender to combine and until all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Pour the pie filling into the pie crust on the 9 inch pie plate (or dish) evenly. Release the air of the pie filling by hitting on the bottom. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and cool it down at least for 4 hours before slicing the pie.Serve with cream and dusting cinnamon!!