These sweet and tangy vegan lemon cookies never disappoint! Our new favourite with tea and coffee, these soft and chewy lemon sugar cookies are quick and easy to make with vegan butter. Our only problem is how quickly they disappear!
Vegan Lemon Cookies
Fresh, tangy goodness of lemons brings so many recipes to life. Refreshing and full of life, they are always in my kitchen, and so regularly used.
When I was thinking about making vegan cookies, I thought why not bring two of my favourite flavours together in one delicious cookie – sugary sweetness and lemony tanginess. It’s a perfect balance!
Made with fresh lemon juice and zest, these soft and moist lemon sugar cookies are made easily without eggs or butter. They are the best vegan lemon cookies ever! So, make sure you eat one or two fresh out of the oven before they disappear!
About these Vegan Lemon Cookies
No need to worry about cookie cutters or fancy decoration. These vegan cookies with fresh lemon juice and zest are super easy to make.
If you’re wondering what to do with a few leftover lemons, don’t hesitate. A batch of these delightful soft vegan sugar cookies will bring joy to any kitchen table, picnic, or afternoon tea or coffee.
The aroma of zesty, sugary cookies filling the kitchen is my idea of bliss!
Don’t be surprised if your family magically appears in the kitchen when that fragrance fills the air. You won’t regret making these easy lemon sugar cookies from scratch today!
Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice is always the best.
Lemon zest: Use one teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest. This really brings the cookies to life! By the way, I’ve found that lemon zest can be used as a perfectly good substitute for lemon extract.
Sugar: Organic granulated sugar is a must for the cookie dough. I use beet sugar. Cane sugar can be good for baking but not for this recipe as it can make the cookies a brown colour, and these cookies should be a fresh yellow colour.
Tapioca flour: For eggless lemon cookies, I use tapioca flour to bind and give a structure to the cookie dough. I’ve used grained flax seeds previously as an egg substitute in baking but it also adds color to the dough so just stick with tapioca flour.
Food coloring: It’s optional but you can use a few drops of food coloring to really brighten the cookies – it’s fun! I used turmeric which is a good option if you want to keep it more natural. . Turmeric works for natural food coloring, and it doesn’t affect the taste if you use just a little.
How to Make Vegan Lemon Sugar Cookies
Delicious eggless lemon cakes are super easy to make at home.
You are going to mix and combine the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately. Then combine them all together.
First, sift all purpose flour, baking powder and sea salt into a mixing bowl. Combine them with a whisk. Set aside.
Second, mix butter and sugar with a hand mixer in a mixing bowl. It takes about 30 seconds. This allows you to keep a bit of air in the butter. Then the batter becomes light and fluffy.
Third, when combining all of the ingredients together, you need to mix them well but not excessively. Otherwise, the cookie dough gets too dense. You are making soft and moist lemon sugar cookies!
After mixing, scoop out 2 tbsp of the dough and roll them out on your palm. Place them on a plate. Cover them with a wrapping film and cool them in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
You can also make the dough well in advance and leave it in the fridge for up to 4 days if you like.
The rolled cookie dough is then baked in a preheated oven at 350 degree F (177°C) for 14 minutes. After removing the tray from the oven, keep the cookies on the parchment paper or silicon mat for 5 minutes to allow the structure to solidify. Then all them to cool on a wire rack
That’s it! Grab one for yourself before putting the plate out!!!
Tips for the best Vegan Lemon Cookies
The vegan lemon cookies can last one week at room temperature. Transfer them into an airtight container after they are cooled down on a dry rack.
Rolled cookie dough can last for 4 days in the fridge.
The secret of this spreadable lemon cookies is sugar. Please keep the amount of sugar this recipe uses.
Vegan Lemon Cookie Recipe
- 1½ cup all purpose flour (166g)
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour (9g)
- ½ cup vegan butter (113g)
- ⅔ cup organic granulated sugar (133g)
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (30ml)
- 1 tbsp one lemon zest (1g)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (5ml)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ⅛ tsp food coloring (optional: turmeric)
- Sift all purpose flour, baking powder and sea salt into a mixing bowl. Combine them with a whisk. Set aside.
- Beat vegan butter and sugar with a hand mixer at high speed until the batter gets fluffy and light, but well combined. This usually takes about 30 seconds.
- Add lemon juice, tapioca flour, pure vanilla extract, lemon zest and food coloring. Beat with a hand mixer for a further 30 seconds until everything is well combined
- Add the dry ingredients into the batter and mix with a hand mixer on low or a spatula until combined. Combine well but not excessively.
- Scoop out 2 tbsp for each cookie, and roll them out on your palm into 12 balls. Place them on a plate and cover them with a wrapping film. Leave the rolled cookie dough into the fridge for 1 to 2 hours
- Preheat your oven at 350 degree F or 177°C.
- Place parchment paper or a silicon mat on a baking tray. Take out the rolled lemon cookie dough from the fridge and add powdered sugar on the surface of rolled doughs. Place them on a the parchment paper or a silicon mat 3 inches apart. Bake for 14 minutes.
- After removing the tray from the oven, keep the cookies on the parchment paper or silicon mat for 5 minutes. Then cool them down in a wire rack.That's it! Grab one for yourself before putting the plate out!