Vegan chocolate mousse made easy with 3 ingredients. Decadent, rich, smooth chocolate delight – it’s die for. One spoon of this eggless, dairy free chocolate mousse with coconut whipped cream, and you’ll be in heaven!
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
No one should go without creamy dreamy chocolate desserts. This veganised homemade chocolate mousse means you’ll never have to!
I really couldn’t believe how easy this was to make. As Andy and I discovered, it goes with pretty much anything. Fruit, nuts, vegan whipped cream, or almost anything else you dream up!
Why this Chocolate Mousse is so Special?
This creamy chocolate mousse melts in your mouth, and is undetectably vegan. If you’re looking for a quick, divine dessert for a dinner party, or just to impress your family, this is it!
This easy vegan chocolate mousse is made without dairy milk, butter or egg. It’s made with only 3 ingredients – all plant-based.
The secret is coconut milk. For this chocolate mousse, use full fat, pure 100% coconut milk without guar gum included!
The chocolate-y delight of cocoa powder complements the rich coconut taste perfectly. This chocolate mousse with coconut milk packs a flavor punch for how easy it is to make!
I recommend using good quality cocoa for this chocolate mousse recipe. You won’t regret it.
Ingredients for Vegan Chocolate Mousse
Dutch Cocoa Powder: I use dutch processed cocoa powder instead of natural cocoa powder. It’s darker colored, flavorful, and dissolves easily with liquids. (source) I use natural cocoa powder for baking.
Coconut Milk: Use only full fat and no guar gum included, ‘pure’ and 100% coconut milk. Put it in the fridge overnight before the use. For further information of whipped cream with coconut milk, check the instructions below.
Powdered Sugar: Sugar and whipped cream are mixed together. For this, powdered sugar is the best. It’s lighter than granulated sugar.
Chocolate (optional): Shave the vegan dark chocolate (I prefer 70% cacao or more). Cocoa powder chocolate mousse is just fine without adding this. But it’s just extra indulgence, and who doesn’t need that!
The risk with this recipe is that you eat it as you go, so try to hold off until it’s served – well maybe just a spoonful to check! You need a bit of willpower to complete this chocolate mousse recipe
Pistachio (optional): For garnishing, a pistachio is perfect for bringing the texture . The chocolate mousse melts in your mouth and the pistachio adds the crunch. But pretty much any crushed nuts works for this, so have fun with it!
Salt: I use good quality sea salt.
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Mousse
This vegan mousse recipe is super easy! The only things you need to pay attention to are:
- Make sure that you bought the right coconut milk can (full fat, pure coconut milk and no guar gum.)
- Keep the coconut milk can in the fridge overnight before you use.
- Take it out of the fridge carefully. This is important! Do not turn it upside down.
Your job is almost done!
Scoop out only the cream of the can, and transfer it into a mixing bowl. Then start whipping the coconut cream with a hand mixer or blender.
Once the whipped coconut cream is making some peaks, add powdered sugar. Don’t forget to set aside a bit of cream for topping. Then add cocoa powder, salt and shaved chocolate. Keep whipping a little while.
Garnish with shaved chocolate, and pistachio.
That’s it! Sit back and enjoy.
Keep it in fridge for 3 hours, and serve!
Tips for the Best Vegan Chocolate Mousse
Coconut cream is difficult to whip
You bought the right coconut milk, and kept it in the fridge overnight. You did not turn it upside down. Carefully took it out of the fridge. Still the whipped cream is not making peaks?
No worries! Once you add cocoa powder, whipped coconut cream will be soon formed with firm peaks.
Find out more details on how to make perfect vegan whipped coconut cream.
Chocolate mousse with coconut milk or coconut cream?
I’ve found that it’s not necessary to use coconut cream for this recipe. Taste and flavor are already so glamorous with pure coconut milk and cocoa powder.
Coconut milk can is fairly easy to find in the shop. Coconut cream is becoming more available in the US. It may not yet be available at local shops in other countries.
Vegan Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 400 ml coconut milk can (use full fat, 100 pure coconut milk and no guar gum included)
- 3⅓ tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 10 g chocolate cubes (vegan, more than 70% cacao and shaved: optional)
- 1 teaspoon pistachio (optional)
- Leave a coconut milk can in the fridge overnight. When the coconut milk can is cooled down, the cream is separated from the coconut water. You only use the cream for whipping coconut cream. Set aside the coconut water for another use.
- Leave a mixing bowl in the fridge at least for 15 minutes before you start whipping the coconut milk. Take out the coconut milk can very carefully out of the fridge. This is so important! Make sure you do not turn it upside down. Open the can. Scoop out only the cream on the surface. Transfer it into the cold mixing bowl, and start beating with a hand mixer or blender with a highs peed for about 5 -7 minutes.
- Once the cream is getting solid, add powdered sugar, and keep 2 tsp whipped cream for topping. Add cocoa powder, shaved chocolate and salt. Keep whipping for 1 minute. The coconut cream and cocoa powder get formed.
- Serve fresh! Or keep in the fridge for 3 hours.