Delicious, protein rich egg toast breakfast – super quick and easy, and ideal for feeding the family on busy weekday mornings! This egg with bread recipe leaves almost no washing up to do, and is a perfect egg toast sandwich. This is one of the quickest tasty breakfast ideas with baked eggs and toast you’ll find.
If you’re looking for a change from scrambled egg toast or fried egg toast, this egg toast with baked egg in the middle is the perfect option. It’s easy, protein rich and versatile, and can save you lots of time – especially when you’re cooking for the whole family.
If you’re looking for a new, super tasty option for toast with egg, think slightly runny egg yolk embedded on toast, layered with tomato, herb and double cheese underneath. You can eat it as a sandwich or break off the edge of the toast and dip it in the egg yolk – delicious.
I just love the egg yolk running over the toast as I bite into it, complemented by fresh tomato, melted cheese and basil. Top it off with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and a sprinkle of sea salt and freshly ground pepper and that’s the perfect way to start my day!
This egg on toast recipe is served in 15 minutes and can impress your family with no hassle. Bring joy to your life and share it with your love ones!
Why You Love This Egg Toast Recipe
No frying pan, fork, knife and plate
I’ve been thinking of how to prepare egg and toast that is self-contained and requires virtually no washing up. I recently made Gordon Ramsay egg toast – poached eggs and fried vegetables, topped on toast and loved it.
But I wondered how to avoid washing up, and make it super easy for busy weekday mornings.
With a bit of trial and error, this egg toast recipe was born! It requires no frying pan, knife and fork. It’s completely self-contained!
This egg toast recipe is really versatile. You can add whatever vegetables, herbs, or cheese you prefer! Let me know what you have put in your egg toast sandwich in the comment section below and leave stars for others if you like this recipe! Thanks.
No frypan or cutlery to clean put out and clean up. You can get ready while you bake bread and eggs in the oven.
Ingredients for this Egg Toast
Egg: I’ve found medium sized eggs work best for this egg and toast recipe. I tried with large eggs, but they overflow out of the toast well.
Bread: You can use any type of bread. I prefer rye or whole grain. If you need to use large eggs, it may be best to use thick bread and make a deep well in it to contain it.
Tomato: I love the tomato and cheese combination with basil. You can replace the basil with other herbs. Oregano goes well.
Cheese: Cheddar brings rich taste and flavour. It’s my favourite, and I used double slices if not triple!
How to Make Egg Toast Extra Easy and Tasty
This egg toast recipe is super easy. There are various ways for how to make egg on toast. I didn’t cut the center of the bread to place the egg in a whole as it is a waste of bread.
Instead, I made a well pushed into the bread with a glass.
In order to make a large well, use a large glass. This will prevent the egg from overflowing over the toast.
It’s easy. Just:
- Line the sliced bread on a baking sheet
- Make a pocket/well on the bread with a glass
- Place the slice cheese on the other slice of bread on the baking sheet
- Crack eggs onto each pocket/well.
Then bake them in the preheated oven.
Add your favourite vegetables and herbs into the sandwich of the egg toast and cheese toast slices. That’s it! Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Egg recipes for breakfast
Easy Egg Toast Recipe
- 3 medium sized eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter (for spread on toast)
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 3 slices tomato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- 3-6 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven for 400 °F (204 °C)
- Cover the baking tray with parchment paper, and place all six bread slices on it.
- Use the bottom of a clean large glass to press down the center of three bread slices and make a pocket or well for an egg (there’s no need to cut out a hole in the bread).
- Place two cheddar cheese slices on the other three bread slices.
- Spread butter around the pockets/well in the bread slice, and crack the eggs into them.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes for runny egg yolk and for 9-10 minutes for hard egg yolk.
- Place the sliced tomato and basil on the cheese bread. Sprinkle olive oil, salt and pepper. Top the egg toast on it.That's it! Serve immediately. Enjoy!